Due to their small size and unique structure, single domain camelid VHH antibodies are ideal for labeling/targeting studies and as building blocks for the generation of novel biological drugs with multiple advantages. Abzyme has N- as well C-terminal linked camelid antibody libraries which guarantees the successful construction of functional multimeric antibody fusion constructs.
Key advantages of camelid VHH include:
• Building block: VHH serve as a building block to create a therapeutic molecule capable of binding multiple targets including cross-linking T-cells to cancer cells. The different VHH building blocks are linked together with Glycine-Serine linkers with flexible lengths.
• Difficult target: Thanks to its small size and long CDR3, VHH can interact with epitopes on targets which are hidden or shielded from the much larger conventional antibodies. VHH is an excellent choice against cell surface and membrane proteins or large protein targets with a pocket such as GPCRs, ion-gated, ligand-gated, and voltage-gated ion channels.
• Alternative route of administration: The small size and exceptional stability of VHH allows administration through multiple delivery routes. These routes include: intravenous and subcutaneous injection, nebulization directly into the respiratory tract, and potentially through the ocular route and orally for local treatment in the gut
• Customized half-life: As a building block, VHH can be expressed as a fusion with Fc or anti-albumin VHH to extend its serum half-life from hours to days or weeks
• Antibody-drug conjugates: Due to their small size, VHH possess properties such rapid tissue penetration and accumulation while clearing quickly from circulation system to minimize systemic toxicity
• High yield production: VHH including multivalent and multi-specific fusions are encoded by single genes and are efficiently produced in various prokaryotic and eukaryotic hosts, including bacteria, yeast, and mammalian cells
Our key advantages in developing single domain camelid VHH antibodies:
• Speed of development: Each discovery/optimization project finishes within weeks from target to final VHH antibodies
• N-terminal and C-terminal libraries: To enable desired VHH attributes and applications
• Unlimited diversity: Highly diversified naïve VHH library in combination with inducible diversification by hypermutation on demand.
• Eukaryotic-based in vitro discovery system: Filters for well-expressing and manufacturable VHH candidates
• Antigen-directed in vivo antibody maturation: Mimicking mammalian antibody diversification processes
• FACS-based approach identifies relevant VHH: Advanced process for identifying antibodies with desired attributes
• Consistency across production batches: Recombinant monoclonal antibody with known amino acid sequences guarantees consistent antibody production
• Difficult targets: Toxins, non-immunogenic targets, targets with hidden epitopes, cell surface antigens
Abzyme custom VHH recombinant antibody development services offer a variety of custom service options, starting with project design, constant interaction and ending in the production of final antibodies. We work closely with our customers to carefully design each project, giving feedback at each milestone to ensure recombinant antibodies are developed to our customers’ specific requirements. We are flexible in modifying our approach to satisfy particular requirements of the customer.